All HIPPY programs around the world follow the HIPPY model which comprises the following basic components:
- A developmentally appropriate curriculum designed to strengthen the child’s cognitive and early literacy skills, social/emotional and physical development.
- A set of easy-to-use educational activity packets and storybooks for parent and child,
- Home visits and group meetings as the delivery methods, extending over a two or three year period;
- Home visitors hired from within the community, trained and supervised by a professional coordinator;
- An emphasis on role play among the teaching and learning methodologies employed.