The Home Visit
HIPPY’s key service delivery approach enables the program to reach out to parents on an individual basis where they feel most ‘at home’ – in their home. This is especially important for parents in locations lacking community services or for parents who have yet to avail themselves of community services.
The Home Visitor
- brings the HIPPY curriculum into the home.
- supports the parent, one-to-one, in transforming the home environment into a place of rich learning opportunities.
- accords to the parent a sense of respect for her/his role and authority as the child’s primary educator.
- as a community member, knows the language, lives the culture, and has faced the same challenges as the families with whom s/he works .
- as a HIPPY parent, knows the materials, and, through weekly training, can transfer concepts and terminology to other parents.
- receives valuable on-the-job training and support with the goal of moving on to additional educational and professional opportunities.
The home visit is an effective, evidenced-based, cost-efficient way to bring families and educational resources together.